Saturday, July 15, 2006

Pandora's Box - Reaction

An okay silent film about a beautiful woman who is at times a kept woman, a prostitute, or a femme fatale. Men fall for her. It's unclear whether she's an expert manipulator or just plain thoughtless, but she leaves death and destruction in her wake. (This movie, made in the late 1920s, was pre-"morality code" so it was quite risque.) It's more of a disconnected story of her than anything with an overarching plot. That's probably part of the reason I got bored; I didn't care about her. The organ accompaniment was likely another. At first, it was a bit too uppity and didn't match the movie. But then, as I got used to its long, heavy notes, I got sleepy. It might be that two silent films in a day are too much for me. Or it might be that the theater was full so it got warm and stuffy. But I'm not the only one that thought the movie was slow and longer than it should've been. (Kudos to the organist for making it through it all.) Very few title (dialogue) cards.

No comments: